Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Single Player) - Sound Review

Little disclaimer…These reviews are my opinion on sound as a player and what engages me into a game and doesn't annoy me while playing a game. I will not be one who says "Come on, that doesn't sound like a real M16!!" I will be rating my sound review on close-to-real as possible. I will not rate anything on game play. I am just rating sound.

Rating is as follows: 1 through 10
1 Being BAD, what were you thinking, horrible sound.
10 Being the Best sound element ever!

Ok, let's review the sound for the Single Player of Modern Warfare 2



Great video on the mix of sound with the soundtrack.


Music: What can I say about Hans Zimmer… He is the ultimate composer when he creates a score. Whether it is for film or HIS FIRST VIDEO GAME score!!!, he kicks butt. As the SP starts up, the credits with the dramatic music and voice-overs from the first Modern Warfare gets you excited to want to play this game. It was a nice “review” of where you left off with and what you are about to endure. The vocals with the percussion and strings gets right to the bone and you feel the Honor and Duty that you are about to feel as you play the first mission. – The music during this intro is cool and gets you pumped up. I could go on and on about the music throughout the entire game but let’s just say. WAY TO GO!! Music for this game (SP) gets a big time 10!!!

Get the soundtrack from iTunes – Modern Warfare 2 on iTunes or from Amazon – Modern Warfare 2 Soundtrack on Amazon

Ambient: The ambient in this game works extremely well with the soundtrack. Blowing sand, wind, water and other small sounds worked very very well with the SP campaign. Nothing was overpowering but sometimes distracting in small parts. Ambient gets an 8.


Dialog: This was a great part of the SP campaign. Voice over’s were done extremely well. General Shepherd’s voice was full of bass and drama. You certainly knew were you stood with his voice. Soap, Price and the others sounded great and full of suspense. Having named cast on to do the voice overs was awesome. Names like Barry Pepper, Keith David, Kevin McKidd and of course Billy Murray as Price. The one character I wish we could have heard more was Makarov. Roman Varshavsky’s voice was full of evil and with no remorse to his role in this game. It was exciting to hear it in the latest trailer of Modern Warfare 3. But the one unforgettable voice that did it for me was General Shepherd. When Shepherd’s voice kicks in, I was like… WOW.. GOOD Pick for a General’s voice. I still this day use the line to my friends and colleagues “Sure it matters who's got the biggest stick, but it matters a helluva lot more who's swinging it.” Great line! I was very pleased when I heard Lance Henriksen speaking in this game as he kills it! InfinityWard did a phenomenal job with the dialog in this game. Giving dialog a 10 rating.

Vehicles: The vehicles in the SP had great sound levels and was close-to-real as possible. Planes, cars, trucks and other vehicles fit in perfect with other elements of the game. Vehicles gets an 8 as well.

Weapons: (Detailed sound on weapons in later posts) I have shot many weapons in my life and I will tell you right now that real life weapons and video game weapons WILL ALWAYS SOUND DIFFERENT!!! Video game weapons need to "sound" realistic and keep the player engaged with that strong, cool CHUGGA CHUGGA sound that a game weapon will make when shooting. So I will give my sound review on a close-to-real sound that I can. In Modern Warfare 2, the weapons in the SP sounded great. The snap, bang and punch of each weapon fit well with the ambient and overall sound. They didn’t overpower the music and the dialog as well. My favorite weapon in the SP campaign has to be the Dragunov. Yes, it is a sniper rifle but any chance I could use it, I did. It sounds so cool and was missed very much in MP. Weapons gets a 9.

Overall Sound: InfinityWard obviously took the time to make sound an important part of this game. The mix was great and everything flowed well together. The music with the settings was a perfect fit (Right on Hans!!!) and the dramatic music with the game play certainly evokes the overall sound of war. Or, at least War to come… The best part of this game HAS to be the Soundtrack. I still listen to it every day as it is part of my mix on my music player. Overall Sound rating gets a 9!

MODERN WARFARE 2 overall review: 9

That is all for now, Raptor Claw 141 out.

No comments:

Post a Comment