Tuesday, June 14, 2011

DIRT 3 (Single Player) - Sound Review

Dirt 3 is the latest racing game from Codemasters. I was really excited to see how much better they could make an already awesome sounding game. There was a lot of things in Dirt 3 that Dirt 2 had from a sound review perspective but there was a ton of detail things I noticed right away. Let’s go.

Little disclaimer…These reviews are my opinion on sound as a player and what engages me into a game and doesn't annoy me while playing a game. I will be rating my sound review on close-to-real as possible on certain genres. I will not rate anything on gameplay like graphics or mechanics. I am just rating sound. If I miss anything that you would like me to review on, comment or tweet me and I will update the review accordingly.

Rating is as follows: 1 through 10
1 Being BAD, what were you thinking, horrible sound.
10 Being the Best sound element ever!

Ok, let's review the sound for the game Dirt 3



Music: Let’s start with an easy one; menu music. Menu music should not be boring and it should never be annoying. It needs to be very subtle and somewhat mellow as there are times you need a break and for me, I like having that “white noise” going on in the background. The music choices for the game were very diverse and none were on a “stupid” scale meaning what were they thinking putting that song in here?... Anyway, music was decent for menus and replays. Just wish there was a way to change songs on the fly as I wanted to cycle through the different music choices and I am one I want the option to race with music on. (So I played my iPod in the background)
Music gets an 8.5.



Ambient: AGAIN, Codies did a great job with the ambience in this game. No trailer this time but sound engineering was dead on. All of the new environments sounded great. The snowy tracks were very cool. Makes me want to go race in the snow now. The wind, dirt, water, bushes, and other ambient was done extremely well. Nice attention to detail guys!! My only gripe was the freekin whistle blowers!!! They drove me nuts! I understand putting the crowd into it but that just was like nails on a chalkboard for me. Other than that, Ambient gets a 9.5



Dialog: The voice overs were done very well. WHY DID YOU TAKE OUT THE RACER CHATTER??? I loved that!!! Oh well. The intros and team dialog was good. Albeit basic, the voice overs gets an 7.5 rating simply because you took out a cool part of the game which made it less technical and that was the drivers voices over the radio.



Vehicles: Since this game is a racing game, this is where most of my focus will be. I am using my Dirt 2 review a little as a lot of it is the same except for a few things… Like um.. THE DETAILS!! Codies got it even better in this game. I love hearing the nitrous and little details sounds from the engine and other race cars. You can really notice this in the replay function of the game. While racing, the creaking sounds, metal bangs, acceleration sounds, gear change and especially the dirt/gravel hitting the wheel wells all were DEAD ON!! Don’t believe me, go watch the movie “Dust to Glory” and hear for yourself. AWESOME Job on this one! Rating: Big time 10!!!



Overall Sound: Overall Dirt 3 did not disappoint. They took out some fun aspects of the game like the other racer chatter and I didn’t have the ability to change the music while it is playing but as far as the overall sound, phenomenal job guys. I just hope this same sound design and engineering flows over to your other games which I have in my GameFly Q. Overall Sound rating gets a 9!

DIRT 3 overall review: 9

That is all for now, Raptor Claw 141 out.

No comments:

Post a Comment