Thursday, May 26, 2011

ZOMBIES - Call of Duty: Black Ops - Sound Review

Little disclaimer…These reviews are my opinion on sound as a player and what engages me into a game and doesn't annoy me while playing a game. I will not be one who says "Come on, that doesn't sound like a real M16!!" I will be rating my sound review on close-to-real as possible. I will not rate anything on gameplay. I am just rating sound.

Rating is as follows: 1 through 10
1 Being BAD, what were you thinking, horrible sound.
10 Being the Best sound element ever!

COD Black Ops, ZOMBIES sound review so you won’t see any “close-to-real” comments for obvious reasons.

Call of the Dead Trailer:


Opening statement:
When I started play COD:WaW I never really got into the Zombies portion of the game. When Black Ops came out, Zombies was again introduced. I didn’t start playing the Zombies portion of the game until the Ascension map came out and then I became a big fan. I play this more now that MP of #CODBlackOps simply because it is a lot of fun and mostly from a sound perspective as there is so much to interact with. I will touch on three maps specifically for this review. Five, Ascension and Call of the Dead.

Music: Now, the music portion is focused on the “Easter eggs” that players find during gameplay to play a soundtrack for the maps. All three were awesome picks for songs for each of the maps. So for those who don’t want to know, stop reading.
Map: “Five” – Song: “Won’t Back Down (Featuring Pink)

Map: “Ascension” – Song: “Abracadavre” by Elena Siegman and Kevin Sherwood
Map: “Call of the Dead” – Song: “Not Ready to Die” by Avenged Sevenfold

Music gets a 10

Ambient: Since the squishy and goofy walking/running/jumping sounds moved over from MP, it seems more acceptable for Zombies maps as the “close-to-real” is not being focused on for this. Now, the way these maps should be played using the sounds is actually useful in handling to hordes of zombies that come at you. I find playing this with a headset is MUCH better than normal speakers. You can certainly hear the zombies coming from the different directions. When you have a break in the play, you can explore the environments to find really cool things. When you get close to objects and they make noise, they may activate other actions. For instance, when you get near the Teddy bears in Ascension, when you activate them, you hear a distinctive sound. After activating them all, you are gifted with a song to play for the duration of the song. I am just bummed that you can’t reactivate them as the songs are great for killing zombies. The various, and large number of,  sounds associated with Zombies, it seems like Treyarch really put a lot of thought and energy into making the Zombies experience in a class of its own. Makes me wonder if it will be a spin off and become its own game cause HOURS goes by if you continue to play this part of the game and there is so much to do.

Ambient gets a 9

Dialog: I love the dialog in Zombies (aside of the zombies themselves but they do creep me out) as the characters have witty, funny and clever statements as you play them. I just wish I could pick which one I want to play when I start the game. But it is not hard to restart and get the character you want to play. With the addition of named actors for Call of the Dead was a nice and welcoming experience. Good job Treyarch, it certainly makes this game a lot of fun.

Check out this video on the actors and their contribution for Call of the Dead:
Sarah Michelle Gellar


Robert Englund:


Danny Trejo:


Michael Rooker:


Dialog gets a 10.

Weapons: Aside from the normal weapons, I love the sounds that the developers picked for the special weapons in Zombies like the Ray gun, thunder gun and VR-11. Very cool and entertaining to play Zombies with these really cool sounding weapons.

Special weapons gets a 9

Overall Sound: Treyarch did a great job on the sound design, music selection and overall weapon sounds. I truly enjoy playing Zombies because it is fun to listen to and the dialog and ambient keep if fun for what you have to do in this portion of the game (#CODBlackOps that is). I really look forward to what Treyarch will do for this part of the franchise. Maybe a spin off, maybe more story connections, who knows but what I do see is Treyarch making each map of Zombies better and better each time. Keep up the good work on this guys.

CALL OF DUTY BLACK OPS ZOMBIES overall sound review: 9.5

That is all for now, Raptor Claw 141 out.

No comments:

Post a Comment