Thursday, June 30, 2011

L.A. Noire Sound Review - Single Player

L.A. Noire is a new Detective game by Rockstar Games. I can say this game is very different from what I am used to playing so I am coming into this fresh. This game was a lot of fun to play albeit LONG but extremely immersive. I COULD NOT PUT the controller down. I just wanted to keep playing. Mainly because of the story line. VERY VERY Cool. Much better than L.A. Confidential. But that is not why I am here, I am going to review the sound of the game.

Little disclaimer…These reviews are my opinion on sound as a player and what engages me into a game and doesn't annoy me while playing a game. I will be rating my sound review on close-to-real as possible on certain genres. I will not rate anything on gameplay like graphics or mechanics. I am just rating sound. If I miss anything that you would like me to review on, comment or tweet me and I will update the review accordingly.

Rating is as follows: 1 through 10
1 Being BAD, what were you thinking, horrible sound.
10 Being the Best sound element ever!

Ok, let's review the sound for the game L.A. Noire



Music: Music in this game is based on the music in the 40’s. Very trumpety (is that a word?) and orchestra like. When I hear this thrilling music type, it makes me feel like it was in the past (40’s 50’s) time frame. The music also played a very key role in when you are close to clues, when you have reviewed clues etc. A very nice spin on music usage in a game. This is something other developers should take note on putting into their games in the future. The constant music throughout the game was also nice, made me feel like I was playing a “movie-game”. Dramatic and suspenseful but not overpowering.
Music gets a 10


Ambient: The ambient sounds in this game were done extremely well. Obviously Rockstar’s focus on sound for this game was a very high priority. Everything from the wind, walking, running (both on land, water and mud), steam, flashlight clicks and other ambient sounds like doors, doorbells, knocking, creaks, placing objects on other objects, finger tapping…well just way too many to list. Distance and depth was also very noticeable to keep the game immersive. Great job on this one as well Rockstar. One of my favorite sounds of the game was when the operator/dispatch was talking to the detective as you could hear the switcher and cord pulls in the period of that system back in the day. Awesome!
Ambient gets a 10


Dialog: Dialog in this game was done very well. All the voices were unique and fit their character perfectly. Again, it made it feel very movie like as the dialog flowed with the story line. The voices also did a good job evoking the mood of a particular scene. Dialog was done very well. Some of the dialog portions that really stuck out to me was the dialog sounds over the phone, radio and such as it fit with the time period being portrayed. It didn’t sound like “Today’s” sound. Make sense? The ONLY thing that bugged me was the dialog all sounded like it was in a tunnel. Meaning the echo associated with setting didn’t seem to work well. Outside in a wide open area, there shouldn’t be noticeable echo and indoors seemed the same. Other than that, dialog was done very well.
Dialog gets a 9.5


Vehicles: This should really be under ambient but since there were so many vehicle elements I will keep it here. First, AWESOME job keeping the sounds of the vehicles accurate with the time period. Everything from the sirens, horns, trains, trolleys, doors, engines… you name it. They were all done very well. Way to go on keeping it accurate guys!
Vehicles gets a 10


Overall Sound: Overall sound design, engineering (Surround sound), and accurate elements of the time period being portrayed was done extremely well. Like I said, I am not a big fan of game types like this but this was one I couldn’t put the controller down simply because of the great awesome sound that this game has. It was a pleasure to play this game. Overall Sound rating gets a 10!

L.A Noire overall review: 10

That is all for now, Raptor Claw 141 out.

No comments:

Post a Comment