Thursday, June 2, 2011

DIRT 2 (Single Player) - Sound Review

Little disclaimer…These reviews are my opinion on sound as a player and what engages me into a game and doesn't annoy me while playing a game. I will be rating my sound review on close-to-real as possible. I will not rate anything on gameplay like graphics or mechanics. I am just rating sound.

Rating is as follows: 1 through 10
1 Being BAD, what were you thinking, horrible sound.
10 Being the Best sound element ever!

Ok, let's review the sound for the game Dirt 2 (I am rating it on the demo)



Music: Music choices for a game in this genre needs to be exciting and energetic, and the Codies didn’t fail there. The second this game starts up, you want to race! The only downside is that I couldn’t turn on music while I drive, but then again, I wouldn’t hear the awesome detail of the vehicle. The rock and techno mix choices were good. Music gets an 8.

Ambient: When I was a photographer at race tracks, both dirt and tarmac, I am always listening to what is going on around me. So, Codies did a great job with the ambients in this game all the way down to when you are in the Trailer. Looking around, the sounds STAY where they are supposed to. Great surround engineering guys! It flows extremely well when you “go outside”. Hey look! It is a wacky wavy inflatable tube man!!! Haha.. Once outside, you don’t hear too much going on except for the music in the background. And what is up with the dude in the foot locker? Onto the environment when racing. I am going to pick the West Coast Choppers Baja Champ Truck. Wind, dirt, water, bushes, fireworks and other ambient was done extremely well. Nice attention to detail guys!! Ambient gets a 9.


Dialog: The voice overs were done very well. I know the real racers provided their voice talent but the excitement wasn’t there but if you have met them, and I have, their voices are dead on. Track voices and intros were also done pretty well. Albeit basic, the voice overs gets an 8 rating.

Vehicles: Since this game is a racing game, this is where most of my focus will be. Now, if you have had the privilege to stand near a Champ Truck, you will know this is the same type of review I will give with weapons in FPS genres. Those trucks are freekin loud!!! BUT, with that said, they hit the nail on the head with these. The truck actualy sounds like a champ truck so the design and engineering that went into replicating the sound went a long way. Even down to the Chevy horn. Good job! While racing, the creaking sounds, metal bangs, superchargers/nitrous, truck on truck crashes, acceleration sounds, gear change and especially the dirt/gravel hitting the wheel wells all were DEAD ON!! Don’t believe me, go watch the movie “Dust to Glory” and hear for yourself. AWESOME Job on this one! Rating: Big time 10!!!

Overall Sound: The Codies put it all on the table designing and engineering the sound for this fun game. It made me want more, so time to go buy this game. I can’t wait to see what they think of next for Dirt 3.Overall Sound rating gets a 9!

DIRT 2 overall review: 9

That is all for now, Raptor Claw 141 out.

No comments:

Post a Comment