Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Multi Player) - Sound Review

Little disclaimer…These reviews are my opinion on sound as a player and what engages me into a game and doesn't annoy me while playing a game. I will not be one who says "Come on, that doesn't sound like a real M16!!" I will be rating my sound review on close-to-real as possible. I will not rate anything on gameplay. I am just rating sound.

Rating is as follows: 1 through 10
1 Being BAD, what were you thinking, horrible sound.
10 Being the Best sound element ever!

Multiplayer for Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 sound review…



Opening statement:
Modern Warfare 2 was one of the most anticipated FPS games to come out. #MW2 has broken records on sales and broke records on video gaming controversy. But with all of that, it is STILL the 2nd highest game being played on Xbox live. I find myself playing this more than CODBlackOps just due to one simple reason.. SOUND. I am sure my gamer friends out there will either slam me or agree that MW2 has decent sound in some places and great sound in others. But I (in my opinion) think and feel that MW2 sounds so much better than CODBlackOps and here is why:

Music: I am not going to review music for MP. I only do that for SP (Single Player).

Ambient:
Environments: Wind, noise is at good levels. Other sounds like distant gun fire or metal creaking, snow, ice, glass breaking, water, fire hydrants, of course fire and most importantly BEER KEGS is also at good levels and doesn’t over power the game play.

Walking/Running/Jumping: Walking, running and jumping are also at decent levels when playing again not overpowering the gameplay. Walking on sand, dirt etc. is close-to-real as expected. Nothing weird sounding there. Walking on metal is solid and tinny sounding which is expected although when crouched there seems to be no sound at all. Not sure if that was by design but it would have been nice to just drop the levels a bit, not eliminate it all together because isn’t that what Ninja Pro is for? Anyway, good job on this one.

Physical surroundings (Buildings, Tanks, etc.): Not much in this area… as very little happens when you interact with buildings, etc. You get the swipe noise when you mellee an object and it makes a very basic sound (if movable) but that is it. When you run into objects, no noise is made at all. Not a biggie, just something I noticed. Breaking glass was cool, as it was a quick and not too overpowering sound.

Non-Playable Vehicles (Airplanes, etc.): None in this game.

Comms. (Radio chatter): Basic comm chatter as in most COD games letting you know when you are losing a flag etc.

Projectiles (Bullets, Rockets, etc.): Bullet hits, richochets, etc. seem very basic but when you are playing you don’t notice or care about them. Just I do. J

I give Ambient an 8.

Dialog: Dialog in MP is basic, but what I did like what the attention to detail when it comes to the British nomenclature for Z. It is pronounced “Zed” and when I would play with friends, they would always ask, “Why does he say that?”… Good job on that. The accents were very good and not overpowering like Ice Cube. Wait, did I just hear the Enemy took Bravo??? Good job on the dialog - 9

Vehicles (Playable): Playable vehicles (aircraft) sounded very close-to-real and very cool. The pave low and the chopper gunner had very distinct sounds. You knew which was in the air without looking. And if I heard the low rumble of the Stealth, I just ran for the toughest cover I could find. Very good job on the vehicle sounds guys. - 9

Equipment: Equipment had its own distinct and subtle sound. Basic but got the job done. Bouncing of the grenades (non-semtex) sounded metallic and you knew when a frag was bouncing past you and it was time to run. Semtex however had the same sound. Although the beeping ball of clay flying by distinguished itself rather well. Placing of claymores was cool cause as both a good guy or bad guy, you knew when one was being placed close to you. The pillow throwing sound of the C4 pack is funny but does have a good sound. Very clever on the throwing knife as if you were a bad guy and you heard that familiar noise of one landing next to you, you are certainly glad it didn’t hit you. Although it is very quiet, it has a good sound associated with it. - 8

Weapons: Weapons were done pretty well in #MW2. They all had their own distinctive sound and were very unique to the game. InfinityWard did a better job with the weapons in #MW2 than COD4: MW. Sniper rifles sounded great! Actually, all the weapons sounded great.

Explosions were good. Not too big and loud and not to chinsy. Barrels and vehicles blowing up were obviously better than a semtex ball blowing up all by its lonesome self.

As far as silence weapons, MW2 actually gets it done right with a good mix or not too quiet and having some sound with them.

Pistols were done pretty well as they had noticeable echo when shot and sounded very close-to-real especially the Desert Eagle. Well, maybe not so close-to-real but it did sound cool and I wanted to shoot it just to hear it.

Good job on this and I am looking forward to see if you step it up once more with #MW3

Hmm, my favorite weapon in this game has to be the AK-47. Good mix of gunshot sound and metal hitting metal. SOOO many games have Kalashnikovs but MW2 did a good job on it.

WEAPONS gets a: 9


Overall Sound: InfinityWard did a great job with this game. The music was a bit much during MP play, leave it at the beginning of the round and at the end. (Maybe that was a contract item they had with Hans but who knows.) I just hope he does the music for #MW3 as that was a big reason I loved the SP so much in this game. More on that later though. But when you play this game with headsets, MY OH MY, was it done right. I can hear guys coming around the corner and the correct one at that! Big time props on the surround sound properties. Maybe another studio can learn from this. Thanks guys!

MODERN WARFARE 2 MP overall sound review: 9 (rounded up hahaha)

That is all for now, Raptor Claw 141 out.

No comments:

Post a Comment