Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 12 Minute Gameplay Trailer - Sound Review

Little disclaimer…These reviews are my opinion on sound as a player and what engages me into a game and doesn't annoy me while playing a game. I will not be one who says "Come on, that doesn't sound like a real M16!!" I will be rating my sound review on close-to-real as possible. I will not rate anything on gameplay. I am just rating sound.

Sound review for the 12 minute gameplay trailer for #BF3 SP (Single Player)
Video HERE:


Opening statement:
When the announcement came out for Battlefield 3, I was excited. The main reason was because based on what I experienced in #BFBC2, I knew that DICE would again raise the bar for game sound for this next version of the Battlefield series. Unfortunately, I do not have the game, as the rest of you, but I do have the privilege of having 12 minutes of what obviously is part of the single player campaign of the game. I will do my quick review on this and save my detailed review on the full version when the game comes out as well as reserving my rating for the full game and MP portions of the game.

Initial thoughts on what I heard in the trailer: (I am writing this as I watch it so please excuse the brevity)

Opening credits absolutely evoke the feeling of tension and turmoil and is solidified when you read what is going on. Sets the perfect scene for a war movie. I MEAN GAME… Onto the gameplay... Maybe it is me, or my headphones are turned way up, but it seems like the environment sounds are a little loud. AGAIN, being that this is a trailer and YouTube does not do Dolby processing (as far as I am aware) I am giving DICE the benefit of the doubt on this one. The soldiers’ voices felt believable and close-to-real as I have heard soldiers before. The opening scene is certainly cinematic stylized and dramatic. To the details… When the troops go taking off to find the patrol of lost Marines (Where are the SEALS?? Sorry, had to), they run through an alley. I can’t tell if there is noticeable echo since the walls were high and the surfaces were hard and flat but the running sounded good. I like the detail when they reached the door and the dog was barking and jumping and you could hear the fence rattle when it jumped. Nice touch. Comms. sounded decent and the echo when the troops were talking inside the building was very good.

<MOVING INSIDE>
Ah the infamous “Check Your Corners” comment… GAMERS, TAKE NOTE!!!!... Moving on…I did notice the hum of the fluorescent lights (probably rated A ballasts) or it was the hidden A/C unit but good ambient sound for the environment. Nice dramatic touch on the quake tremor. Again, a bit strong but I will see when I have the full game and I play it with my headset on. Vehicle drive by sound was very good and again, echo was in sync with the sound and image. Like the dramatic hum when it is about to get bad. Is this just in the trailer?? Guess we will find out.

<MOVING OUTSIDE - SNIPER ENCOUNTER>
Sniper rifle when fired seemed to be right next to you when it was fired. Would have been more close-to-real if the shot was fired then split second later, the soldier was hit. Even the Nano-second delay would help. I know, sniper is right across the courtyard, but there is still travel. MG fire sounded awesome and close-to-real. Very cool with the depth of sound with the weapon fire as the primary character walks away (dragging the downed soldier) and then back in action and firing his own weapon. DID I just hear the PLR?? Sure sounded like the ones from #MOH J… When the action is over, the soldiers give a sitrep. Now, I know from being around the military that it is frowned upon to swear over comms. but I understand it for cinematic purpose and dramatic effect. So I will let this slip on this one. I finally get to hear the magazine being changed and it sounded close-to-real. AWESOME whizzing sound from the RPG and impact of it. Very cool. Glass breakage and metal bending sounded good. FINALLY the sound of metal moving when the soldiers climbed over the rail with sheet metal on it. Good job on the detail. Who is screaming? Main character or another soldier?

<ROOFTOP>
Slamming through the door (assuming it is metal) sounded very good. Not too distracting. SEE this is what I mean, sniper fire is quieter, and then the shot hits next to the soldiers. Now I know the sniper is much further away than the other scene but I guess I need to be shot at more to make a better call on this one (No offense to my soldier brothers and sisters who ARE really getting shot at over there – BE SAFE). I loved the subtle sounds of the ammo and other gear movement when the soldier is crawling across the rooftop. Good attention to detail again on that. Great distance sound when the AT rocket is hit on the building.

<INTERIOR FOLLOWING WIRE>
Good job on the metal bending as the soldier crawls across it but why no mouse claw noise as it runs by??? Just kidding. Tremor noise and metal creaks were good too. Very dramatic. Somebody send me a pair of G.I. boots so I can go outside and run around and make that noise when the soldiers run and drop down… very strong and solid sounding. Gives a good feeling of strength on the soldier’s part. I do like that DICE didn’t over do the fighting sequence when it came to punches. I am SOOOO tired of the Hollywood SMACK, THWACK and THUD sounds they do.. punches in this trailer sound solid and good. Well, not for who is getting hit. When the soldier starts to leave the building, it was cool to hear the MG fire (muffled) and got clearer in sound as he reached his squad mates. Oh be still my heart boys… I am a sucker for the LMG and the sound was awesome on this one but what happened to that clever distinctive noise when you get close to empty??? Was that something that was only done in #MOH?? That was cool... bummed it wasn’t in this… maybe it will be put in the final release? (hint hint). Reload sounds were good and not to over powering. Again, good job on defeaning the player when something near them explodes or rings the ears. Little bird firing sounded like the MG’s on the Blackhawk in #BFBC2 which is not a big deal, just pointing it out and the casings falling from it sounded cool. Subtle sounds when soldier climbs into back of truck, small details but always important. Great cinematic effect with the building falling and the earthquake but what finally got my friends (the goose bumps and hairs) to jump up was the ending sound when the Battlefield 3 came across the screen.

Closing note:
Way to be smart about getting your gamers to WANT this game. I know I will be in line and will write my detailed sound reviews once I have completed the campaign and played a few hours of the MP on each map.

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog and I always appreciate the comments!

That is all for now, Raptor Claw 141 out.

2 comments: